Wednesday 24 December 2014

Top Shows of 2014

These are my top shows of 2014, some I have reviewed or mentioned, others I will have seen before I started this blog. Enjoy!

  1.  ‘The Drowned Man: A Hollywood Fable’: Everyone who knows me would have already guessed that this would be my top show. It closed in July and I can still remember even the tiniest details. Every aspect of this show was incredible, immersing you into a beautifully twisted world. Four floors to wander round, over thirty characters to follow and you choose what you experience in this enchanting production. I don’t think I’ve ever felt as attached to a show as I do to this and I am longing to witness another Punchdrunk production.
  2. ‘1984’: George Orwell’s classic story is brought to life, stunning everyone who watches this show. Although a long play, you are engrossed from the start and the direction produces a show perfectly echoing and enforcing Orwell’s themes and intentions. Manipulation, totalitarianism and control are just a few topics that influence and trigger intriguing questions onto the audience.
  3. ‘The Believers’: One of Frantic Assembly’s less well-known shows but as always, the show was captivating. Exploring the contrasting beliefs and the dangers of having a closed mind, the performance and physical theatre was illuminated by the imaginative visual aspects. Definitely a thought-provoking piece of theatre I would see again.
  4. ‘Medea’: My opinion on Greek Tragedy has been changed by this play. Previously I had never seen any Greek theatre; only studied or performed pieces. However, this encouraged me to go back and re-read plays, giving a new found love for Greek theatre. Although a horrific story, this production was incredible and affected me more than I imagined. Everything from the use of the chorus to the staging to the use of slow motion was incredible; I was more than impressed.
  5. ‘The Addams Family’: A show by the 3rd year Musical Theatre students at Guildford School of Acting that really should have been a full-scale production. Some of the most talented people I have ever seen perform, added with fantastic ideas, music and design made for a show I was so glad not to miss. These students will be doing shows throughout 2015 and I hope that the rest are as good as ‘The Addams Family’ and, the show performed by the other half of their year, ‘LIFT the Musical’.
  6. ‘PUSH’: Sylvie Guillem performs her last ever show with Russell Maliphant. Each executes stunning solo sequences, bringing a revolutionary world of dance to the audience. Together, they create a seamless, compelling masterpiece that shows their skill and trust in each other. A last minute theatre trip that I wouldn’t have missed for the world. 

I couldn’t compare all the shows I saw at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival to the ones on this list but I know a few people who wanted to know my top picks. The top three shows I had the honour of seeing include ‘Victorian Vices- The Picture of Dorian Grey’, ‘No Belles’ and ‘Light’. Seeing the combination of Jamie MacDowell and Tom Thum bring their outstanding music talents to the stage also remains one of the highlights of the Fringe.

It’s been a good year for shows. Bring on 2015.

I'd love to hear your favourite shows of 2014 and any recommendations for 2015 in the comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment